How to check income tax refund online in India?
If you are tax paying individual, there are chances that you might have overpaid income tax or forgot to claim certain deductinos. In such case while filing income tax return, you would have recomputed the tax and expect income tax refund from income tax authorities. If you are employee and expecting an income tax refund, then you might be wondering how to check income tax refund online in India. There are some easy steps on how you can check income tax refund online. This article would provide step by step details on how to check and get income tax refund status online and some of the frequently asked questions (FAQ's) about income tax refund process.
How to check income tax refund online in India?
1) Check your income tax refund status online on NSDL Website:
a) Log in to the NSDL website at this link
b) Enter your Permanent Account Number (PAN). This is there on your PAN Card.
c) Choose the Assessment year for which you are looking for income tax refund. E.g. if you are looking for the refund for the financial year 2014-2015, then assessment year would be 2015-2016.
d) Click on submit.
e) Details would be displayed to you
2) Status of the income tax refund can also be tracked by contacting the SBI help desk at toll free number: 18004259760 or 080-26599760 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
3) ‘Refund paid’ status is indicated on the ‘Tax Credit Statements’ in Form 26AS. You can view that online by logging into your income tax account on incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in and then viewing on My Account tab. You need to register on incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in to view the statement on Form 26AS
4) You can check income tax refund status online with many other websites like cleartax.in etc., The process would be simple and same as above process where you need to enter PAN no and assessment years and submit the button.
Some of the FAQ’s on checking income tax refund online
1) Income tax refund has been dispatched, but I have not received it yet?
You can check with local post office with the speed post ref. no displayed on the NSDL website. You can also check the dispatch status on post office speed post website.
2) How would the refund would be sent?
Refund is sent in ECS method (direct bank credit) or through cheque. This depends on which mode you have chosen while filling your income tax returns. If you have choosen ECS method, your income tax refund would be directly credited to your bank account with an intimation to your email along with the status updation on NSDL website.
3) I have changed my correspondence address, what happens then?
If you have opted for cheque option for refund of income tax and in case there is change in correspondence address, you need to contact assessing officer and inform the change in communication address.
4) My bank account is closed, how do I get refund now?
If you have opted for ECS for tax refund and your bank account is closed, you need to approach asessing officer and give new bank account details along with MICR code to initiate the refund again from income tax department side.
5) I got ECS refund advice through email / post, however actual credit not received in my bank account?
There are very rare chances that you would have got intimation that amount is credited either your ECS advice or based on status updated on NSDL website, however no credit is given in your bank account. In such case you need to contact the following:
Cash Management Product (CMP)
State Bank of India
31, Mahal Industrial Estate
Off Mahakali Caves Road
Mumbai – 400 093.
Phone Number: 18004259760 or email at email@example.com
6) If I found some errors or mistakes in cheque received by me, whom I need to contact?
Some times you would have got cheque with incorrect amount or errors in names, PAN no. etc., in such case you need to:
i) Send the original refund cheque to CMP, State Bank of India at SBIFAST 31, Mahal Industrial Estate, Off Mahakali Caves Road, Andheri East, Mumbai – 400 093, Phone Number: 18004259760, along with a letter informing the mistakes on the refund cheque.
ii) Send a copy of the letter along with a copy of the refund cheque to your Assessing Officer.
iii) Retain a copy of the letter and refund cheque with you.
7) To whom should I contact for income tax refund related queries?
For any refund related query you should contact Aaykar Sampark Kendra at 0124 2438000 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For refund related query or any modification in refund record relating to Return processed at CPC Bangalore, the CPC may be contacted by the taxpayer on 18004252229 or 080-43456700.
The above steps help you to check the status of your income tax refund online. Please do let me know in case you are having difficulty in viewing income tax refund status.
Share on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, if you like this article.
How to check income tax refund online in India